As my husband and I are going through our second full watch of Star Trek as a couple, I thought it would be fun to report on the highlights along the way. So I decided to copy the same format as Charlene at Bookish Whimsy, who is going through her first-ever run of Star Trek and sharing her favorite episodes for each season. To compare, see her favorite episodes of DS9 season four.
Holy cow, I did my season 3 recap in February! I can’t believe it took so long to get through season 4, but then again, I was watching Voyager season 2 at the same time, plus live shows (RIP Castle) until recently.
So I was a little disappointed with season 4. I have gone on the record as saying DS9 is my fave show of all time because of all the epic stuff that happens, but so little of this epic stuff is happening in season 4, and doesn’t it seem like it should be by now? And unlike almost every other DS9 fan I’m not a huge fan of the episode “The Visitor,” though I will say I liked it better this time around than the first time I watched it. However, I do have 5 episodes I did enjoy a good bit and want to share my thoughts on…
5. To The Death
Sisko and the crew of the Defiant form an unlikely, temporary alliance with the Jem’Hadar for a common goal. But really all you need to know is we finally meet Weyoun.
Dr. Bashir’s adventure spy holosuite program turns into a life or death crisis situation for several of the crew members, and he and Garak have to literally save the day. The episode plays into fun spy show/movie tropes, and I’m always a fan of good Bashir episodes.
Another fun episode where Quark, Rom, and Nog inadvertently end up going back in time to 1940s Earth. While Rom and Nog simply want to find a way out, Quark doesn’t want to pass up the opportunity to exploit the humans… if only the Ferengi and the humans could communicate pre-Universal Translator.
2. and 1. Homefront/Paradise Lost
This two-parter takes place on Earth as Sisko goes to Star Fleet to discuss the Changeling issue. And, well, crap hits the fan in these episode as martial law becomes instated on peaceful Earth, paranoia ensues, and Sisko must hunt down the mole in Star Fleet.
If you’ve seen Deep Space Nine, which episodes of season four are your favorite?
It’s been way too long since I’ve watched Voyager to comment there, but this one is very close to my heart. I actually really like Season 4 of DS9. I’m not sure I even know where to start as the episodes I DONT like are in the minority by far.
10. Little Green Men – Yet more goofy fun
9. Return to Grace – Dukat from the bottom returns to the top … cool stuff
8. Shattered Mirror – I love the space battle at the end, lot of fun
7. Hippocratic Oath – I’ve always loved this one, particularly the Jem’Hadar First
6. Our Man Bashir – Just plain ole good fun
5. For the Cause – I’m a sucker for snarky Eddington
4. To the Death – “I am Chief Miles Edward O’Brien. I am very much alive and I intend to stay that way.”
3. The Visitor – Any given day, these top 3 can shift around amongst eachother. Emotional, well acted, interesting. Was a great breather after the premier.
2. Homefront/Paradise Lost – Great concept, well executed. Loved the re-use of the Enterprise-B model for the Lakota
1. The Way of the Warrior – what a way to introduce Worf and the temporary status-quo. Will always be a fan of this one.
Honorable mentions – Rules of Engagement (I’m a sucker for well-done courtroom kind of stuff), The Sword of Kahless (mostly just love the sword itself, but first episode I watched in Stereo, lol), Starship Down, Broken Link, Body Parts
The only episodes that I flat out don’t care for at all are The Muse and The Quickening.
It’s not that I disliked many of the episodes, most of them were just alright for me. I think I’m ready for the big story arcs! The Muse is definitely the worst though.
Those are some good episodes. That was a pretty good season all-around. I’d also throw in “Way of the Warrior” and “The Visitor.”
Oh The Visitor! I would like to watch that again and see if it makes as big an impact on me the first time around. I don’t remember some of the episodes you listed here very well, but I think I enjoyed the Paradise Lost two parter. It’s pretty intense. It deserves top episode rank. 🙂